May is in full bloom and we are on our way to a marvelous summer! I’m sure your activity calendar is filling up quickly now that the kids are finishing school. Let Doctors Clinic Houston help keep you and your family healthy and informed this season.
Remember, summer time means more time spent outdoors and causes us to be more susceptible to allergies. Also, we want to keep the kiddos active and in shape over the break.
We’re bringing you ideas on how to mix it up with family and fun but also healthy activities. Keep up with our seasonal health concerns, medical news, special clinic offers and community news and more by reading below.
Don’t forget to get yourself and skin summer ready through the many offers at The Skin Venus. What are you waiting for! Be sure to treat yourself or someone else to an fabulous medical spa experience, located in our SouthWest clinic.
Start a medical spa package to help you feel radiant this summer!
See our latest clinic offers, health updates, medical community news and more in this month’s outreach newsletter. Hopefully this information is helpful to you on your health journey.
Don’t forget to read on our blog for all the latest medical news and useful information!
Doctor Clinic Houston is now on Twitter. Please follow us for the latest news, updates and interesting medical information.
As always, our mission is to provide high-quality, affordable and accessible healthcare. With six convenient offices located in the greater area, we are helping heal Houston one patient at a time, inside and out with old-fashion care with modern day service and technology. As always, we thank you for choosing Doctors Clinic Houston for all of your healthcare needs. Remember to like us out onand visit online to .
Doctors Clinic Houston
Our approach involves following basic orthopedic care as well as conservative care within a manageable time frame to get your spinal, neck or other area’s health back in order. We are happy to assist in:
- Establishing Goals
- Diagnostic Testing
- Surgery and/or Therapy
- Post-Operative Management
One option we offer …
Diskectomy is a surgical procedure to remove the damaged portion of a herniated disk in your spine. A herniated disk can irritate or compress nearby nerves and cause pain, numbness or weakness. These symptoms can affect your neck or back or may radiate down your arms or legs.
Your doctor may suggest diskectomy if conservative, nonsurgical treatments haven’t worked or if your symptoms worsen. There are several ways to perform a diskectomy. Many surgeons now prefer minimally invasive diskectomy, which uses small incisions and a tiny video camera for viewing.
- You have trouble standing or walking because of nerve weakness
- Conservative treatment, such as medication or physical therapy, fails to improve your symptoms after six weeks
- A disk fragment lodges in your spinal canal, pressing on a nerve
- Pain radiating into your buttocks, legs, arms or chest becomes too much to manage
Start feeling yourself again!
See a complete list of the various treatments below that we can offer to you after a comprehensive diagnosis.
Weight Loss Program Services
Are you overweight and looking to shed some of that extra fat? Doctors Clinic Houston has developed an effective diet and exercise program to help you shed an unprecedented amount of weight. It will take sacrifice and hard work, but in the long run, we guarantee you that you will be grateful for having made the commitment.
Experience a personalized medical approach to weight management. We currently offer weight loss programs varying in scope and are equipped to help you with your weight loss intentions. We are a medical facility with the latest in technology to assist patients feel and look the best they can and offer affordable pricing.
Maintaining a healthy weight for your body is one of the single most important things that you can do for your overall health. This is why the healthcare providers at Doctors Clinic Houston are committed to helping patients achieve and maintain healthy weight goals throughout the lifespan.
Our Weight Loss Program
Each person’s body weight is a result of many complex factors including genes, metabolism, environment, culture, lifestyle, and behaviors. For this reason our providers work individually with each patient to create a personalized weight loss clinic plan based on their unique needs. We include:
- Comprehensive and private medical evaluation to identify underlying causes of weight gain and determine the best treatment course available
- Integration of natural supplements with traditional diet and exercise treatment modalities
- Ongoing medical counseling and support from a qualified health professional
Weight and Your Health
As the second leading preventable cause of death, obesity is one of the most serious health problems our society is facing today. Being overweight or obese significantly raises ones risk for many diseases including heart disease, diabetes, cancer, hypertension, stroke, liver disease, respiratory problems, arthritis, and infertility.
Are you overweight?
Medical professionals use a system called the Body Mass Index (BMI) to determine whether or not an individual is within a normal weight range for their height. People who maintain their weight within a normal BMI rage tend to live the longest and have the least amount of weight-related medical problems.
- Normal Weight = BMI of 18.5-24.9
- Overweight = BMI of 25-29.9
- Obese = BMI of 30 or greater
Use the chart below to determine your BMI using your height and weight measurements and see if you qualify for the Medical Weight Loss Program!
Are you looking to slim down for summer, but also looking for ways to eat without feeling deprived – time to get the dish on carbs!
Good carbs? There Are Options…
The trick is timing, and to eat 100 percent whole grains in the morning, and not after.
- Lox and avocado
- A big sandwich
- Shrimp salad there are options!
“A lot of carbs are processed carbs – they are refined, and then they turn into sugar in your bloodstream,” says Jackie London, the nutrition director at Good Housekeeping.
What we want to do is balance our blood sugar – the first thing to do? And don’t skip breakfast.
- Healthy Clusters example: from Kind Snacks
- not granola which is full of fat and calories
- Lox on a bagel with a schmear and avocado.
- Have whole wheat bagel “thins”
- The weight loss sandwich:
- Ingredients include:
- Sriracha Hummus
- Quarter of an avocado
Two Dinner Ideas:
- Pork tenderloin with swiss chard and sweet potatoes
- Lentil shrimp salad with mango chutney
- Lentils are high in fiber and are filling
- The shrimp is also high protein.
- Overall, the goal is to fill up on lentils, beans and vegetables.
- Make sure fruits and vegetables are a majority of your plate.
As you size up all of the food, the goal is to remember that timing, small portions, and the whole wheat rule will add up as you size down.
Houston Health Concern
We’re tackling something that will make your skin crawl. Houston is one of the top cities in the country carrying the crawling critters. Apparently there’s been an infestation of bed bugs in the city. Particularly in apartment homes.
We’ve learned what to look for and how to prevent the problem from spreading. Read below:
SPRAYING DOES NOT KILL BED BUGS!
ABC Home & Commercial Services owner Raleigh Jenkins says many people use chemicals, but that doesn’t necessarily kill them all. There’s only one solution for that: heat.
“They will not have a resistance to the heat,” says Jenkins. “When the heat gets to 120 degrees, 100 percent kill will happen.”
ABC even has a specially trained dog named Frisbee. He smells the pheromones of bed bugs and confirms if you have a bad case.
How Do You Get Bed Bugs
Bed bugs get into apartments and homes basically by hitchhiking on your stuff. So when you take your summer vacation, there are things you can do when in a hotel to help cut down the chances of bringing home those unwanted souvenirs.
When you get into your room, don’t lay your suitcase on the carpet. Put in on a luggage rack. Doing so makes it harder for bed bugs to get into your suitcase.
Bed Bugs in Your Home
Bed bugs, once they are in your home, are hard to get rid of. Heating treatment and follow up visits can run as much as $1,200 dollars.There are some cheap ideas to get rid of bed bugs before they take over where you live. If you’re worried they might hop a ride on you, throw everything you’re wearing in the dryer and put it on high heat. Also, use a hairdryer on bags and suitcases to kill any that might be clinging on.
CHECK FOR SIGNS
- Inspect your room.
- Bed bugs like warm, dark places.
- Start by pulling down the sheets and blankets.
- Pay particular attention to the white edging around the mattress as it’s a good place to spot them.
- Bed bugs look like apple seeds and they leave little stains behind.
- Check around the headboard; it’s a good hiding spot. Behind the nightstand and in the dresser drawers, too.
Is Your Child Healthy?
Chances are your kids aren’t getting enough exercise — even your youngest ones.
Researchers monitored kids at 10 preschools. They found the children were only exercising about 12-percent of the time. The rest of their day was spent napping, eating, or generally being inactive.
The CDC recommends kids get at least one hour of daily exercise. The researchers point out plenty of exercise at a young age is essential for a child’s development and for preventing obesity.
Was parenting easier forty years ago?
Mom’s in the new millennium, dream about the idea of parenting in a world where streets are safe and parents can let their children run freely through the neighborhood, their bodies naturally challenged with the exercise of play.
Instead today, before the slam of the car door fades and the backpack drops on the floor, the TV is switched on and the last few hours of daylight disappear in a haze of video games and over processed snack foods.
Even the concerned, well-meaning parent can often stand helpless, wondering how to compete against marketing genius and instant gratification. Exercise and carrot sticks have a hard time competing with Xboxes, SpongeBob and potato chips.
The proof is all around us. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the health of too many North Americans is in danger because of unhealthy lifestyles.
The latest data from the National Center for Health Statistics show that 30 percent of U.S. adults 20 years of age and older – over 60 million people – are obese. The CDC reports the percentage of young people who are overweight has more than tripled since 1980.
My kids aren’t obese – why should I be concerned?
Your kids are normal, right? You are parenting just fine. But in a world where walking is limited, school P.E. programs are being cut, and cars, elevators and buses eliminate our chance to exercise naturally, we need to make a concerted effort to make physical activity part of our day and our children’s days.
Despite all the benefits of being physically active, most Americans are sedentary. Inactive children are likely to become inactive adults.
So as parents how can we get our kids moving?
“The American Heart Association recommends that children and adolescents participate in at least 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity every day.”
The great news is exercise comes in many forms and can be a lot of fun! With a little creativity you can easily add some fun physical activity into your parenting style.
- Lead the way. You need to set a good example. Kids, especially younger children, naturally follow their parents. So make sure you are looking after your ownhealth and making physical activity a priority in your life.
- Do it together. In today’s overscheduled world, we need to make sure we are spending quality time with our children. What better way than to be active together. Since kids can’t be alone roaming the neighborhood, parents need to play with them.
- Make it fun. Put on some music and dance. Play tag. Roller blade. Basically just play. Provide them with toys and equipment that encourage them to be active while having fun. Bikes, scooters, hockey sticks and baseball bats will get your kids moving and active. For preschool children, ride on toys that get them exercising like pedal cars, big wheels and tricycles are always a great parenting decision.
- Cheer them on. Create positive reinforcements with encouragement and support. Help them find sports and activities that build their self esteem. Attend their sporting events and let them know you are their biggest fan whether they win or lose.
- Turn it off. Of course, we need to limit the time our kids watch TV and play video games. But make sure you do it in a positive way. If they are angry that you just turned off their favorite show, they might not be too excited about going out rollerblading with you. Allow screen time during designated hours, preferably after homework is done and when physical activity is finished, like in the evening or on Saturday morning when tired parents might need to catch a few extra minutes of sleep.
Adding more physical activity into your family’s routine will help you all feel better and get you having more fun together. Most importantly, as you model a healthy lifestyle you will help instill in your children lifelong habits and healthy attitudes toward exercise and physical activity.
It is the time of year where season changes can cause flare ups in allergies and asthma. Adults and children can be very susceptible to seasonal allergies during this time due to all of that pollen floating around.
If your child always seems to get sick around this time and during the fall, then seasonal allergies may be the cause of the problem.
Watch their pattern of symptoms such as worse symptoms in the morning that improve during the day. Symptoms could include things such as a runny nose, itchy eyes, and sniffling.
Irritants and trigger allergies and asthma
- House dust
- animal exposures
- indoor pollutants
Cut down on the severity of symptoms
- Dusting and sweeping often can
- Changing clothes after a trip outside could also help.
- If your child is doing an extreme activity, it could induce symptoms.
- Encourage and enforce your child to wash their hands thoroughly often.
A trip to the doctor’s office may really help to distinguish between a cold and allergies and also to see if your child may need prescribed medicine to relieve their symptoms.
At Doctors Clinic Houston, our quality physicians, nurses and support staff are ready to provide total, expert allergy treatment services to you and your entire family. We have convenient Houston Locations throughout the entire Houston area to serve you in your time of need.
By combining the latest technology, along with our years of experience, we are able to identify, assist and deliver treatments suitable to the individual needs of our patients.
Are you experiencing any of the following symptoms?
- Itchy, watery eyes
- Skin problems.
- Frequent infections.
- Feeling tired.
- Feeling anxious.
- Cannot sleep.
- Digestive problems.
- Mood swings.
- Having trouble concentrating.
- Muscle weakness.
- Swollen joints.
THIS SEASON DO YOU WANT TO FEEL LIKE…
See Houston allergy reports based on City of Houston finding for the current month.
POLLEN AND MOLD SPORE REPORT APRIL
THURSDAY, MAY 21, 2015
|TYPE||RANGE||COUNT /Cubic meter air|
Healing Chiropractic Bed
The IntelliBED Special Offer
Many of your know that I have been recommending intelliBED for some time now.
They’ve contacted us to let me know that in honor of May being National Sleep Month, they will be offering our patients a free Sleep Genius Speaker Set ($295 Value) if they purchase anytime during the month of May, in addition to the 10% discount when you purchase an intelliBED.
Sleep Genius is a sound-based sleep aid used nightly to gently train your brain into natural healthy sleep rhythms. Your ears hear soothing music, but your brain hears scientifically developed neurosensory sounds helping you get to sleep faster, sleep deeper and stay asleep longer, so you awake feeling refreshed. With over 1 million customers, Sleep Genius is the most scientifically advanced sleep program in the world, and was developed following their research helping NASA get astronauts to sleep in space. Sleep Genius is just another great tool, along with intelliBED, to help you achieve the best sleep and health of your life.
- How well do you sleep?
- Do you toss and turn?
- Do you ever awaken with stiffness, soreness, numbness or pain?
If you don’t sleep well and the answer is yes to ANY of those other questions, very likely you need a new mattress. This is the same bed the physicians of Doctors Clinic Houston sleep on, so you know it’s good!
We know many of you have trouble sleeping and most people don’t understand that their mattress has a big effect on quality of sleep. Also, the quality of our sleep can have a powerful effect on our overall health. After much consideration and research, below are the reasons why we recommend intelliBED over any other mattress.
- This company has found a replacement material for foam to cushion the body called Intelli-Gel.
- Intelli-Gel was created by engineers to provide the body with the most pressure relief possible and has been used to treat burn victims for decades.
- My experience is that Intelli-Gel cushions better than any other mattress I have experienced, which reduces the amount you toss and turn, allowing you to stay in the deep healing stages of sleep longer.
- It provides better alignment support than any other mattress I’ve looked at, which is necessary to hold adjustments.
- Unlike beds that use a lot of foam, intelliBEDs provide consistent support and is guaranteed for 30 years. Who wouldn’t love not having to purchase a new bed every few years?
- They don’t use any toxic materials in the build out of their beds or any chemical fire retardants, which I know is important to a lot of you.
As a reminder, you can receive a 10% discount for using mentioning my name or using our code plus IntelliBED offers a 60-day 100% money back guarantee, including free return shipping.
They prefer you to call (888) 435-2339 so they can have their sleep advisers walk you through which intelliBED is best for you. You can also go online www.intellibed.com.
LET US TAKE YOU VIRTUAL SHOPPING!
SELECT THE RIGHT BED FOR YOU:
Doctor’s Clinic Houston has taken the time to research the major mattress retail products and has identified intelliBED as the first true medical-grade sleep surface available for home use. By using co-polymer intelli-Gel® in place of foam, intelliBED provides superior comfort and support without harmful off-gassing and they wear 2-3 times better than any of the foam mattresses. Deep, healing sleep is fundamental to your health.
If you have questions about the quality of your sleep or want to experience the materials in person make an appointment at one of our clinics!
Make an appointment at any of our six locations
Clink Link For Scheduling
The Skin Venus Offers
We welcome you to Skin Venus where state-of-the-art medical grade technology merges with elegance, offering an unforgettable skin revitalization experience. We invite you to explore our complete menu of skin care services that will further enhance your innermost beauty and outermost expressions.
Discover all The Skin Venus has to offer this year and take advantage of our top quality medical spa services as affordable pricing. We can help you feel beautiful inside and out!
GET SUMMER SKIN READY WITH LASER HAIR REMOVAL SPECIALS!!!
Choose From Glo Minerals, Clarisonic & OBAJI Make Up Gift Sets Sold Here!
All Available at The Skin Venus!!
Email us at email@example.com